Saturday, March 8, 2008

"We'll Always Have Paris"

My legs moved with a sense of weightlessness; the heart confused whether it should rest with achievement or throb in excitement. My eyes looked deliriously at the unremarkable skylight roof of the train station, my head spinning between where I should go and where I was. For I was, finally, in Paris!

I will try not to adulate endlessly on the charms of Paris. But there is something about this city that has made me believe in the force of love at first sight. Is it the history? It was the center of imperial glory that mesmerized all of Europe throughout the late Middle Ages and the Napoleonic Era. Is it the architecture? The stonework on its churches, the sculptures on its landmarks and the melee of Corinthian Orders upon which rest some of its most spellbinding superstructures hit you with captivating aura. Is it the bewitching scent of fresh pastries and madeleines rolling out from hot ovens in enchanting little cafes tucked in every cobble-stoned street? I just can't take this anymore...

No comments: